Thursday, March 22, 2007

On Rama Navami

The 9th day of Chaitra Maasa is Rama Navami, the birth of Lord Rama. The most auspicious day for Hindus. For us, we do pooja at home to Lord Rama and Seetha’s deities, read Sri Rama Sahasranama and go to temple and 99% attend a music concert in Rama Mandir. Mostly Meera Aunty’s concert or any carnatic concert. Not to forget paanaka, gulp down 3-4 glasses at a time! I love to sing Rama’s krithis and Devi’s krithis. While Rama’s krithis makes me fall in love with Rama, Devi’s krithis give me an unprecedented strength within. For Rama Navami, here’s the list of my known Rama’s songs learnt since childhood, been singing till now, and still love to sing:


1. Ramachandram Bhavayami – Raaga Vasantha
2. Raama Nee Samaanamevaru – Raaga Kharaharapriya
3. Maamava Pattabhirama – Raaga Manirangu
4. Ra Ra Rajeeva Lochana – Raaga Mohana
5. Brocheva – Raaga Khamach
6. Jesinadhella Marachitivo Raama – Raaga Thodi
7. Sri Rama Chandra Krupalu Bhajamana – Bhajan in Yaman
8. Deva Devam Bhaje – Devaranama in Hindolam
9. Raama Raama – Devaranama in Thillang
10. Seetha Kalyana – Suruti
11. Jagadhanandhakaraka – Pancharathna – Naata
12. Endharomahanubhavulu – Pancharathna – Shri

Not to forget:

13. Nepogadakunte - Shubhapanthuvaraali

14. Needhayaraadha - Vasantha bhairavi

15. Bantureethi kolu - Hamsanaadha

16. Khelathi mama hrudaye - Atthaana

17. Bhajare maanasa - Abheri

Should I include some fusions?

-> Mama Mama Shri Hari Rama? :) Tempting!!!

Well that’s for my Rama Navami to my Lord Rama. Will I be able to sing this year? Only Lord Rama knows. :)


Happy Rama Navami. God bless you.

14 comments:

Adiya said...

mm ;) cool.
i have a basic quesion. from creator or dividinity or sweetness or of anything these krithis are of same age and same propertiy.

but how come few krithis like Brocheva, Raama Raama, Seetha Kalyna, Jagadhanandhakarka reached out both carnatic n non-carnatic( like me) audience very fast. :)

is it because of the raaga
is it because of the singers
is it because of __________ fill in the blanks

Adiya said...

Mama Mama :) the abheri of my life

Aparna said...

hey wow! wonderful list of songs!
-Aparna
aparnasblog.wordpress.com

Chiroti said...

Adiya, most of the rama songs you mentioned: jagadananda, seethakalyana, brocheva, are all used in films! ;) so being movie buff (also myself), may reach out soon. That was on the lighter note. However, the main reason could be, khamach, thillang, naata, suruti are all very melodious raagas, used very frequently for melody based numbers since it sounds very sweet and light. That's the reason it reaches out soon, without even knowing carnatic music basics...that's what i feel...:) your counter arguments please! :)

Mama mama - seems to be very special! share secrets please! :) by the way, its aabhogi, not abheri.

Aparna,
Thanks!
I had forgotten to include 4 more krithis, which i realized only after i sang yesterday and went through my books! :) So do take a look at the list again!

Adiya said...

eppadi thaan correct aa thappa solluren theriyala. ??

Aparna said...

Saw the updated list. I have not listened to Khelathi mama hrudaye. Will search for it & listen asap.

Chiroti said...

aparna,
this is very similar to shripaapriya sangeethopaasana seyavevo manasaa - in atthaana again, sung in a very similar fashion. its really nice. by the way, do you sing or you are just a music critique? do let me know.

thanks.

adiya, i thought you will come up with more questions, what happened? :)

Aparna said...

I have not listened to Sangeethopaasana too! :(

I am not a music critic!! :O I don't even have the knowledge to become a music critic! I am just a music lover. :) And yes, I sing. I am learning Carnatic music.

Adiya said...

Khelathi mama hrudaye - Unni version is too much for me.. super list.. i drag it to my kalyani.

Adiya said...

hey Vaaji Vaaji.. i donna yaar u confused me.. now for me its sounds like anand bhairavi & reeti gowla also.. :( ..

wait let me listen more ... female humming ( though its debatable in other thread ) sounds some thing like that. parthu solluren.

Chiroti said...

aparna,
that's great! may be we can have more discussions on this in the future.

adiya,
unni's version - ya to an extent its okay, but not very good...ofcourse i have my own reasons for this.

vaaji vaaji - kettu sollunga..:)

Adiya said...

There is one more in the collection.
pibare rAmarasaM rasane - Yamuna( Kalyani ). - Unnikrishana

Adiya said...

if u don;t have i can as usual spam ur inbox with that :)

Chiroti said...

adiya,
yes please. :)

that way, there are tons, one of my favorites which i have not learnt and on Lord Rama is Marugelara O Raghavaa, this is awesome...try getting it, for you and for me. :)