Friday, March 30, 2007

Pancharathna Krithis

Singing pancharathna krithis for Thyagaraja Aradhane along with my music teacher felt great this year. This was on Jan 07, 2007. So I must say, 2007 KICK Started for me! Just felt like penning down some fond memories attached to each krithi that I have learnt :)

Endharomahaanu - This was the first pancharathna I learnt. I think I was 14 years then. Seeing the length of the song itself made me faint. However, those days my learning skills were very quick and I learnt it soon and when I sang in front of my relatives at home, they applauded me so much! I felt like one maha singer that time!

Dhudukugala - This is the second one, I found this a little tough although I picked up later and almost made me cry when I used to listen to meera aunty sing. O by the way, during the aradhane, they started of in such a low shruthi, 4.5 to be precise, that I picked higher octave and sang in contrast! :)

Jagadhanandha kaaraka - I took really long to write this down, college days your not used to writing too much, my speed reduced considerably! :) Not to forget the song in Anniyan - Iyengaaru veetu that picks after the first charanam! Incidentally, this happens to be the first song I sang in front of a student, who wanted to know how krithi is sung based on swaras.

Saadhinchane - I love the way Balamuruli has sung this. But this is such a lovely song, I used to always feel it is in Saama until I realized it is Aarabhi! :( Hope meera aunty is not reading my post! :) I used to practise late nights after work and trouble everyone at home singing the same few lines atleast 30 times till I got it right! :)

Kanakanaruchira - People have this belief that a teacher should not teach varaali to the student, either the student will stop learning or some hindrance will come up. Meera aunty never believed in that and taught me this one as well although I have not learnt this completely till date, I just know half half. :( Hope I complete this soon...does this mean, what people say is true? Will figure out soon!

Keep singing and keep enjoying music. Its worth anything and everything in life!

Happy weekend!

7 comments:

Adiya said...

hey
first shot. i still remember our Pancharathan krithi in ur house. grt8 .. wait will go through more and get back u.

Adiya said...

here u go.. my memory is correct only. though i didn;t put it out.

good. i know (just knowing after some raging ) only 1st and 3rd. :) superb pack up..
keep continuing.

now u got a blog energy :)

Aparna said...

Wow! It must have felt great to sing the Pancharatna kritis for the Aradhana. I am yet to learn even a single Pancharatna kriti....

Chiroti said...

adiya, after getting answers everyone will say this only..."i knew it.." haha! ;) js kidding. cool.

blog energy - you think so? :)

aparna,
way to go! must appreciate your interest and patience for music, the way you pen down every krithi and raga quite well. wish you all the best.

MaXimus said...

Hey..saw ur blog on Jagadhanandha kaaraka ..can u email me the lyrics of this composition to muralee22@gmail.com??

Thanks,

Murali

MaXimus said...

Hey..saw ur blog on Jagadhanandha kaaraka ..can u email me the lyrics of this composition to muralee22@gmail.com??

Thanks,

Murali

Chiroti said...

hi murali,

do you want the lyrics of the whole krithi? i usally write in my mother tongue and writing in english would be a little different for me, but i can definitely try. do let me know.