Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sweet Indulgences

This post is dedicated to my Appa.

Every day at home, after school, I would wait for my Appa in the evenings coz he would come home with a bag full of sweets and I would eagerly ask him - Ivatthu yaava sweet thandhidhira pa. I would feast on them and carry some in my lunch box the next day.

Everybody asks me why and how I know so much about sweets, their names, their variety, where they are available in Bangalore and what each sweets stall is famous for...all the credit goes to my dad.

If you want to grab on some famous sweets from Bangalore, then here's a list of the famous sweet stalls that I know:
  1. Jalebis and Badami Puri - Gundappa Sweets in Majestic.
  2. Gulab Jamuns / Dhum Root / Chandrahaar - Bhagatram Sweets on Commercial Street.
  3. Mysore Pak - Sri Venkateshwara Sweets, Avenue Road, Gandhi Bazaar.
  4. Holige - Subbammana Angdai, Gandhi Bazaar / MTR, J.C Road.
  5. Horlicks Burfi - Shri Krishna Sweets, Basavana Gudi.
  6. Badami Halwa - Hotel Samrat (Chalukya), High Grounds.
  7. Badam Milk / Jamun / Petha - Asha Sweets, Malleshwaram.
  8. Chum Chum / Boondhi - Pai Sweets Stall, Vasanth Nagar.
  9. Rasgulla / Kheer Kadam / Soan Papdi - K.C Das, Church Street.
  10. Kesri Bhath - Janardhana, Race Course Road.
  11. Kaju Burfi / Honey Dew - Banaras Sweets, Chickpete.
  12. Chiroti - MTR again, and Kannada Weddings...:-)))

Hope this was enlightening...:)

Ending this post with a sweet little wish for all of you,

Happy Sankranthi

Ellrigu Sankranthi Habbada Shubhaashayagalu.

9 comments:

Praveen said...

Sankranthi subashegalu :)...yen previous 2 postukku reply pannala neenga?? :(

Adiya said...

high Aspartame Glucose + Sucrose + Frctose + Lactose post.

Wish you a very happy Lugduname sankarandhi and for ever

RK said...

hi R,
mouth-watering post.
have been to all these places. maybe you can also add "bhagyalakshmi gulkand stores" in malleswaram circle.

'ellu bella, sakkare acchu' ready-naa?

have a wonderful sankranthi-pongal

regards
rk

http://bellurramki18.wordpress.com/

Aparna said...

Thanks for the swwet post ;) Would come in handy if I visit Blore sometime
Happy Sankranti :)

Praveen Krishnan said...

Ramya,

What a mouth watering post!!! I miss everything here. Luckily for me, I have been invited by an Indian family to spend the day with them for Pongal :-) Some saving grace atleast!!!

Have a great Sankranthi/Pongal!!!!

Chiroti said...

s.praveen,
Sir, I seriously dont know about the 3 notes soong you asked me. pls give me the answer. Thanks for your wishes again.

Adiya,
:) I had long forgotten all these "-ose" names. Thanks for adding in! Wish you the same. I had wished Anu as well yesterday.

rk,
:) I was 100% sure that you would have definitely visited all these places. We are pure Bangaloreans! :) Forgot about this Bhagyalakshmi stores! Thanks Sir! Yellu, Bella ella ivatthu ready maadthidhini Sir...naale adige - pongal. :)

aparna,
Sure! May be you can add some Chennai outlets for all of us. :)

praveen,
:) I am sure even you know all these places. I miss all this in Delhi too..:( I have to cook for myself if I feel like eating anything. Hardly any kannadiga friends that I know here. So you are better of I guess! Enjoy your festival and feast on the food during your visit.

Praveen said...

oh thats fine, neither me, but u asked me to send it to u.. Which id do I send it to...u can tell me abt the song after listening to the orchestra piece.

Chiroti said...

s.praveen,
what is your email id? i will mail mine to your id first. :)

Praveen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.