Saturday, January 26, 2008

Stranger in my car

It was a very busy day at work and I had a terrible head ache. I decided to drive back early, and also planned to buy some plants from the nursery to add on to my plant collection at home. (by the way, I love plants and I simply love my collection at home!) So I was driving back home. I pass by this village, very rural area basically, crowded roads, all sorts of people and animals on the road. I was just behind a bus that suddenly stopped. I braked and I was waiting till the bus moved and THUD came a noise from behind and my car just bounced and moved a bit!!! I was shocked!!! Somebody had hit my car from behind!!! I freaked out and got down from my car and to see it was a maruti behind that hit my car. Not realising what to do, I rushed inside and locked all the windows first and kept my hand bag in the back seat. By then all the villagers crowded our cars. I took my phone and got down and shouted at the driver and I was desperately trying to reach someone but the phone had no network...it was absolutely useless and whom do I ask for a phone next was the question....by then I had to move my car aside since there were other vehicles on the road, and freak...my car wouldn't move and there was a lot of noise when I accelerated....the bumper got damaged totally and the it touched the tyres scraping off the rubber from the tyre when I accelerated...I freaked completely...then came the stranger...

This guy who was in the maruti that hit my car..:-/ came to help me and he manually pulled the metal bumper that was scraping the tyre. He said he would bear the entire cost coz it was his driver's mistake and he asked me to drive down to a service station and that he would follow in his car...being in Delhi, trust me to trust his words....!!! I quickly noted down his car number, asked his to get the license and took his card, by then the driver had run away....!!! :-( This guy told me to relax and asked me if he can come in my car so that we can drive down to the nearest service station...:-( Not knowing what to do, I acted like as if I was talking to my husband on the phone and updating him the information and said okay to this guy and I was so scared....!!!! Then I just kept quiet, and drove down quickly. But this guy wouldnt keep quiet at all, he kept talking about his property business and that he was not a thug and would bear all the expenses...bloody hell I wouldn't care, until I was safe...I really donno why I had to take him...with me...then I reached the service station, got a person to gauge the damages and expenses and the matter got sorted out easily. We had to wait in the service station for a while coz this guy did not have any cash on him and he had asked his associate to bring the money that he promised to pay up. I waited calmly (although I was so confused and worried) and it was so cold that evening (the temperature here reached 2 degrees in the evenings and even below that) and suddenly this guy asks me if I wanted to have some tea...I was so stressed out that tears just rolled down my eyes...by then the service station guys gave us both some tea...and finally I got everything sorted out and the guy left and since the service station was closed the next day and the car was in a working condition, they asked me to bring the car after a day and they would repair it. I drove back home finally.

After I came back, I was so stressed out that I just drank two glasses of water, sat down and prayed to God first, for bringing me back safe, for giving me the courage to handle everything alone, and for keeping me alive. The stranger in my car was indeed a nice person and I was very lucky to be safe that evening.

Every experience in life is such a big teacher and God really is watching. There is a strong power that guides you. At times, life is not fair, yet it is beautiful and we need to accept that, come what may. There ends my Friday's experience...my first road accident, which I will never forget...

12 comments:

Praveen said...

Oh that is surely a nerve whacking experience...good to knw its over. I cud imagine what wud have been on ur mind when letting that guy into ur car and in that service station. I am surprised its Delhi, wud'nt b if twas Chennai. Anyways good to knw some good souls do exist whereeva....I wonder what wud've been the scene if twas Bangalore...u have abusive drivers on the road using the filtiest langauge at pple who go right...

"thalaikku vanthathuthalapaagoda pochu". Ur hubby mustta had a tough time consoling u I guess...bravo gal, u handled it well.

Chiroti said...

s.praveen,
ya, its all over and although not a big accident, it was quite an experience.

by the way, i dont agree with you about Bangalore and the drivers using the filthiest language...i guess you haven't traveled much to comment such things, you should visit some places in the North, you will know what filthy is...and trust me, Bangalore drivers, atleast some of them are good.

Last time when I was in Bangalore, I landed at the airport and my dad had not arrived, I wanted to call him and my phone was not working and there were no telephone booths open either! (in the airport that too!!!) Seeing me running around for a phone, a taxi driver offered me his phone and I got in touch with my dad. I thought that was very nice of him to offer help. I totally love Bangalore for any rhyme or reason...:) by the way, do you belong to Chennai? :)

Praveen said...

Hi..nopes I belong to Bangalore and have been here for 24 years now, yeh I do agree u find some good drivers in Blore and Remya, I don't mean auto/cab drivers (most of them are locals) when I said 'drivers' in my previous post, one of my friends was telling me abt getting helping hand frm an auto driver similar to what u experienced, but thats a minority right? I was just trying to say we knw the Bangalore of the 80s and the 90s well, but the last 4-5 years is totally different, filthy languages are heard mostly on the roads amidst the traffic even when u drive the right way (the abusers MOSTLY belong to the A section "educated" society, youngsters and teenagers), just try travelling during the weekend around Ulsoor, MG road, Ingr during weekends and u'll knw what I am talking abt and most a while the abuser will b the one who isnt following lane decipline, skipping signals, I have seen this lotta times, heard frm loads of friends, my poor dad faces this too often and he gets really irritated when he sees educated youngsters hailing abuses at him when driving right on the road and when he retaliates he gets "Kannada nahin maalom" for an answer (the abusers mostly arent locals).

A friends father passed away on a road accident, a younster skipped the signal-bumped him onto the road, and abused him before flying the scene. This is really todays Bangalore.

So I guess u didnt get what "drivers" I was referring to..

Incidentally on saturday one of the FM stations had a 2 hr show on such abusers and had various callers talking abt their experiences in namma Bengaluru roads and abuses they have faced while driving right. Two engineers have started a club (I dont remember the URL of the site) to stop such things happenning on the roads, I really donno how that functions a how thats gonna help.

I have spent recent 3yrs in chennai too, so I was just drawing parallels, as long as getting helping hands frm strangers is concerned Chennai tops the list any day, so was surprised someone was nice to u in Delhi..

I too TOTALLY love Bangalore for any rhyme or reason...:)

BTW was it too much stalking on ur mailbox? I knw I shud have just sent u what I told u, but was excited and really wanted to share my playlist..is it ok? I donno how many of those u already have..

Adiya said...

hey what happened. are u alright now. nice u came out of the mess without much problem.

other than the post content i feel some good debate around. mm..nice

my stint in bangalore is small but i feel majortiy of auto drivers are fine they don;t get into noise words. but as s.praveen said now a days they are living in a cozy zone and they hate to take people to shorter duration areas or low volume places.

if an auto driver run a business in and around M.G then he may not come to JayaNagar. its definitely not a Linear programming problem. its just that demand for them increased and service posture is reduced. its happening every where not to get into bangalore auto drivers Vs others.

RK said...

ramya,
thank god you reached home safely.

"At times, life is not fair, yet it is beautiful and we need to accept that, come what may."

rarely do people get this thought. i am proud you felt this after the experience.
god bless you. and take care dear.
rk anna

RK said...

watching the tiruvaiyaru tyagaraja aradhane on sunday, i remembered you a lot.
keep singing
rk

Chiroti said...

s.praveen,
24 years in Bangalore and 3 years in Chennai...!!! I think I should visit Chennai and do some research.

About the emails, I really have not been able to check all of them coz my mailbox almost crashed. :) I had to delete some mails. Thanks anyways.

r.k Sir,
Nothing to worry, I am absolutely fine now. ya, last year in Jan I sang for aradhane, and this year, I am shivering in Delhi's killing chilling weather...however, I practised all the pancharathna krithis at home recently, something is better than nothing..for now..thanks so much for your concern.

adiya,
:) me doing fine. thnx.

Praveen said...

:( ur mailbox crashed... I think I am the culprit, I sent abt 1 GB of stuff. :( most of songs are gone then :(..do I need to send them again not so crash ur mailbox of course, let me knw when ur mailbox is clear.

Aparna said...

'Stranger in the car' - That must have been a scary experience! Thank God you reached home safe.

> I love plants and I simply love my collection at home!
How about a post on that? :) Am sure it would make a nice read

Praveen Krishnan said...

Hi,

So, I hope you are out of the emotional trauma. Take care!!! Sometimes, God tries to slip in the truth that life need not be along expected lines!!!

Praveen Krishnan said...

Hi,

So, I hope you are out of the emotional trauma. Take care!!! Sometimes, God tries to slip in the truth that life need not be along expected lines!!!

Chiroti said...

s.praveen,
pls hold on, will let you know.

aparna,
ya ya, i am absolutely safe. and ya, about the plants, good idea, let me do it when i find time...

praveen gk,
ya, i am a bit hesitant to drive down to work now, will get over it in a few days. thanks.