Wednesday, July 05, 2006

There's something about Kalyani - definitely not the 'K' factor :)

A complete blend of raaga, thaala, shruthi, dhwani (voice), uchharane (pronunciation) and dhyaana (conciousness) results in good singing.

However, there are some raagas that give you the 'feel good' factor when you sing, of which one of my favorites is 'Kalyani'. Being a sampoorna raaga, it is a tough one to sing. But the way swara combinations can be made in this raaga, is simply superb. The swara sthaanas are such that it allows you to express emotions in rendering the raaga. While music itself is a way of expression, Kalyani is very close to my heart.

Being a core carnatic music lover, this is just to share one of my experiences.

Check out more information on Kalyani - Ilayaraja - Tamil Songs - Raaga usage at:
http://hawkeyeview.blogspot.com/2004/06/ilayaraja-and-kunnakudi-vaidhyanathan.html

by another fan of kalyani...:-)

2 comments:

Adiya said...

Being a kid in Karnatic journey knownly or unknownly this ragam kalyani becomes my core part.. my moms name is kalyani, some of my favourite songs are kalyani..
grt8 attend chiroti.. i guess chiroti - kalyani are in a same lines..
Gud kickOff..

Chiroti said...

:)
Its quite a co-incidence that my choice of raaga matches with your mom's name.

Yes, there are lots of songs in this raaga. I prefer the carnatic ones. :)