Sunday, March 18, 2007

Excerpts from "Being A.R.Rahman"

Happened to watch this programme on CNN IBN on Sunday, around 00:00 hours, an interview of ARR (which I hope was not relaid before). Here are some of the interesting lines:
Interviewer: How do you unwind from your routine?
ARR: Music itself is like unwinding activity all through. One whole lifetime is not enough for it, where is the time to unwind from music?
Interviewer: You manage your music business on your own, you know so much about copyrights, distribution, etc, how do you do that?
ARR: If you dont do that, you get conned in the film industry. I am a father now and I have to think on those aspects. Its a switch-on - switch-off mode.
Interviewer: People say that ARR's music is still innocent as a child...
ARR: I enjoy what I do, else it wont reach out to you. The times when I dont do that, it shows in the music.
Interviewer: Of late, you are using a lot of your own voice...top ones - Dil Se, Swades and then for the first time Shehnai was used in the song in different style - other then the usual marriage scenes..and bgms
ARR: In a way, its nothing better than delivering your own baby, so that's the feeling I get when I sing my own songs and yes, people also like it. Swades was composed when I was in U.K. I was just watching out of the window and these tunes came to my mind and I decided to use Shehnai in the song.
Interviewer: You sing a lot of tamil songs in your shows, hasn't that been talked about?
ARR: Yes, I do that. Lot of Tamil audience enjoyed that, while Hindi audience did not enjoy much, but I do that even now, I perform in Hindi, Tamil and Telugu, so its like National Integration, and people like it.
Interviewer: About religious lines..some XYZ writer said, having Mohammad in a name gets recognized like you are from a terrorist background, so how do you see that?
ARR: Yes, people ask me if I am Tamil, Srilankan, etc, but every religion / sect has had its own phase, at one point it was Christians, I guess now it is Muslims, but it is all temporary and I hope and aspire it will be fine.

It was a simple sensible talk, and very very interesting. For those who missed it, may be you can get it somewhere on the internet.

2 comments:

Adiya said...

another a.r.r buff or buffy :) ha ha ha..

very much open - frank and honest answer from the gentlemen.

nice to having him in our era. :) waiting to get more rhythms from him..

Chiroti said...

hey, its true, i love ARR for his music first, and second for his modesty and conviction to music. his interviews, he's so so normal and down to earth. really enjoyed it.