Thursday, April 12, 2007

My career and how did it start?

No not actually in the IT industry after my graduation. It started way back after I completed my standard 11. I was on holidays then and suddenly I got a call from my school teacher, Miss Rani. She needed help. She had to go on an urgent vacation and hence wanted me to supervise class 10 kids in their Final Exams. I openly agreed and I was excited! It was a week’s job, morning 9 – 4 PM. It was a great experience to be back in school and meet all my teachers again and share some good memories of school days. My Subbu Sir (Maths cum Class Teacher in High School) was so glad to see me back and also told fellow teachers that I had scored 100 in Maths in 10th. I used to be a strict teacher and move around, it was fun to see students and bully them. But trust me being a teacher is a very responsible job. It is not easy. To tell you the truth, I love it.
Then after Miss Rani got back, she called me up and asked me to meet her. I said okay. When I met her, she asked me if I enjoyed the experience, I said, yes very much. She offered me Rs.500. I refused, but she said, this is for your work. I had to accept. That’s my first salary. The most memorable one. Felt great that time.

Then after that, I finished my graduation and was loitering around, taking up GRE and TOEFL. Those days I was so jobless. And one fine day I met a friend who offered me a job again as a teacher for NIE – Newspaper In Education, a programme run by Times Of India wherein teachers (usually trained ones) conduct various workshops for school children and visit different schools. She told me that I had to take up Math Workshop and they would pay me Rs.250 per class, for 50 minutes and I may have 4 to 6 classes per week in different schools. But traveling was at my cost. I again agreed instantly and took some tips on how to plan. I surfed the internet to analyze the maths level of middle school kids, 5th – 7th standard and prepared math puzzles on charts – using K.G. Cardboard and Sketch Pens. I used lot of drawings since that attracts kids and I used to carry them to those schools. It used to be so much fun. Initial one or two classes I was little scared since I did not know how kids can cross question. Some classes used to be so noisy to handle. But I did manage to get their attention. Once I got used to their questioning it was fun. Kids are brilliant these days and they ask very good questions and teaching helps you learn so much. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I made around 1000 rupees per week then, worked for around 3 months and dragged another friend from college into this. He took Vedic Mathematics workshops. He also got addicted to this, not because of money but because of the good experience with children. We would share a lot of incidents and it was so much fun. The funniest was when kids ask you for autograph in the end of the class.
Sometimes I still wonder if I should take up teaching as a profession. In my music classes also I used to love teaching and writing notes for kids. Probably comes more naturally for girls. But the kind of satisfaction you get is different and nice. May be one day when I get really fed up with this IT industry I will switch to teaching.

1 comment:

Adiya said...

Thats a nice package of experiance. super things. definitely it adds lot of value to yourself. even i had started my carrier as part-time coporate technical person.
though i could successfully conveince everybody in technical front my drive is into development and that pulled me.
Later for a change i started teaching for ramaiya college grads and assiting projects for few months.

by that time i grabbed few technical experiance and i may say i am not a grt8 teacher but pretty descent technology accelerator...

:) keep chewing.