Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Deciphering Janani Ninnuvina

Janani Ninnuvina is a famous beautiful madhyama kaala keerthane in Reethigowla raga, Mishra Chaapu taala, composed by Sri Subbaraya Shastri.

The first time I heard MSS sing this; I fell flat on the ground. What a beautiful krithi and what a voice!

I wanted to sing this one too. All I had is the windows media file. I needed the script. I did not want to look at the English versions available on the internet. I wanted to do this on my own in my mother tongue. :)

So I first listened to the song several times to check if I can do this. Since I have never learnt a krithi this way, meaning, I normally learn from a teacher and only film songs/light music and some devaranamas through tapes or any media, this was my first experience with respect to a full fledged krithi coming from MS Amma. Normally I copy krithis from my music teachers’ book and all I have to do is just plain copy every note and sing it correctly. But now I had to do everything my own!

Thanks to Adiya for giving me the mp3.

Here it started.

First I thought, I know reethigowla and this should not be tough. Then I turned on the song in my ipod, opened my book and started penning down the saahithya in my mother tongue. I just realized that learning this way was equally exciting, though I missed my Meera aunty. Then after a few lines I realized I should mark the taala also now! And to top it all, it was Mishra Chaapu! Though I have learnt a madhyama kaala krithis in Mishra Chaapu (Maamava Pattabhirama(Manirangu), Kamakshi (Bhairavi)), when I started marking the taalas for this on my own, I realized how tough it was! Every note fell out of one complete cycle and I had to do it very carefully. I would’ve listened to each line 20 times to get the taala markings right! Phew that was one helluva job!

I sailed through Pallavi and Anupallavi.

Now came the chitteswara. I was in a maze now. Almost felt like Abhimanyu caught in Chakravyooha, unable to escape! How do I decipher this now, the taala went haywire when I sang the swaras and the swaras went haywire when I put the taala! I just knocked my head and realized that all I had to do is, split the beats into Thriputa taala pattern what we learnt in Alankaarams! Wow! I felt like a hacker hacking some password! So I wrote down the swaras in Thriputa taala style and it exactly fitted the bill! Wow! I wrote the charanam with ease after this and here I was! Ready with my dream script!

I am now learning the song part by part, directly from MS Amma! Let me tell you one superb advantage of learning this way (from ipod) – you can rewind and repeat the lines as many a times as you want till you get it right! Can you do this with your music teacher? Never right?

Take advantage of technology and do learn music. Never give up. :)

9 comments:

Adiya said...

:) cool in ballekka song illa S.P.B sir sollura maathir eruku.

i learnt this paluke bangarma mayana krithi like this. not exactly like you my teacher taught me every thing but i took a snap shot of it and pen down the meaning everything. unfair to god that what was my last krithi so far :( ..

Never give up thats right. :)

Specailly M.S.S amma who is conducting Virtual classes to you. what else you want in life. :)

njoy maadi

Adiya said...

Most of the times my iPod sweet turns on this krithi when i just enter Robin Wood Drive towards my office. i may say its a 20miles/sec
road with less traffic, villa types of house with huge green lawn before, murmuring of birds, lazy cars, school kids waiting for bus types. spll very narrow road for 2milease.

i totally enjoy this walk with MSS. even though i donna mishar chappu or what ever.. i count myself like starting akaram end i am kind of crozzed willams house, then inbetween alphana Ga Ga Ma Ga... types i am kind of reached kerrys house kind..

i njoy my walk as u know.. and esp such moments ..

Adiya said...

but just curious technically on the books isnt it.. krithis needs to definted based on the rhythmic pattern... ????

adding fuel to it.. ( oh no.. )
adding gas to it ( eppadi )... you know what there are lot of standard rhythmic patterns available in the market. most of the MDs use this RP with vivid instruments. once the song compostion is done based on the context of that song they can say this part use this RP / Instrument combo. so the song has been rehashed with staunch sound enggineers with those RP to engrave the songs gravity. it might not be true in real ( process may be differnet ) but if you take one MD and travel his song chronical u can understand that.

u remeber once i asked u about 1,2,3 patterns of one song.. ?? same logic..

in A.R.R redefines lot of new things that makes

Barso ri(Guru) song with higher mark compare to Sil Sil nilave engey ( A.Ariyamalum / Yuvan ) sonng

let me know your thoughts in mail .. :)

Aparna said...

Hey Janani Ninnuvina is one of my favourites! :) Try listening to this song played by M.S.Gopalakrishnan on the violin in case you haven't. It will be an out-of-the-world experience listening to him play :) I have only an old cassette of his in which he has played it.

> split the beats into Thriputa taala pattern what we learnt in Alankaarams
Brilliant! :)

Chiroti said...

The only TWO readers of my blog! welcome again! :)

Adiya,
#1. haha! SPB style aa...mmm...
Hey why you look at this the other way, instead of saying palluke bangaramayana as your last krithi, call it as the Beginning of Music in your life / First krithi and start from there. Makes sense right? ;)

Wow!MSS conducting virtual classes - very true. If only she was alive and saw how many times i repeat and listen to her verses, she would've kicked me left and right! :)

#2.Beautiful sweet explanation - I literally walked with you through these roads when I read this!
Yes, the chitteswara is beautiful! :) I can sing this now! ;)
Yes,I do know your walking experience starting from Jaynagar Southend and Cubbon park days :)

#3. Yes, definitely - krithis have very well defined meticulous rythmic patterns. Let me assert that in music is like mathematics. if your rythm sense has to be good, your analytical and counting skills should be good. (preached by my music teacher in early days of my music life :))

"adding GAS to it" - enna U.S style aa? ;)

MDs and RP's - not really familiar with this structure in film music.

Aparna,
Thanks for the suggestion, will try listening to it. :)
Thanks.

Sree's Views said...

Hey Chiroti...
You have a 3rd one now :)
and the pleasure is all mine :)
You have a lovely blog out here.
I have a good ear for music but I am no pro like u guys :)
Its very interesting to read all the info abt carnatic music.
Looking forward to be more such lovely posts from u chiroti :)
Keep smiling :)

Chiroti said...

Welcome Sree,
Thanks for your visit and appreciation. I am not a pro for sure! :) but yes, an ardent lover of carnatic music.

my blog contains varied topics. hope you like it.

have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

I should send you this song rendered by Sanjay. It is who intro'd me to this song. Wonderful. I can only imagine MS singing it. Must be divine.

Karthik Raghavan said...

If you listen to a song 100 times, it will sink into you totally. From there, do you need all the technical stuff to learn, or will simply imitating work? Never tried it out. I'm MISERABLE at singing :) Every time I try singing, I'll be horrified at how the song is being mauled by me and shut up immediately :D